Monday, October 27, 2008

Out Of Their Minds?


En fuego, out of their heads, luckier than sh*$!, asleep, etc... These are all adjectives that could have described two members of Team Awesome last Thursday. This was the day of the last golf outing with Tikes, Hub, Ri-Bone, and Myself. The plan was simple, Tikes and I would take on Hub and Ri-Bone in a friendly golf match for beverages. Only our team was giving up some serious strokes. The deal was made to give Hub/Ri-Bone either a stroke per hole or a mulligan per hole (their choice) in a scramble/match play format. While it may seem Tikes and I were trying to give away the match, we were confident in our superiority on the golf course (has anyone ever seen these two play?). On the first tee it was evident Tikes/JROD might be in trouble when both Hub and Ri-Bone were both in play (that doesn't happen very often). JROD came through with a birdie by himself on the first hole to match their par collectively and remain all square (they chose a stroke this hole). Tikes had a par of his own on the second hole to keep us even after two holes (mulligan this time). The third hole is where it really got twilight zonish. Not only were Hub and Ri-Bone both in play, but they both striped it down the middle of the fairway. They were quickly back to normal on the next shot when each of them duffed it 20 yards. Tikes and I were unable to capitalize however, as a misclub by myself left us with a tough third shot and a loss of the hole.

Down a stroke going into the par 5 fourth hole we were still confident in our ability to come out on top. Fate was with the two youngsters, however, and they amazingly won this hole as well (courtesy of a free stroke again). Down two and wondering if this complete and utter display of luck would ever end, we trimmed it to only down one after a 300+ drive by JROD and a solid approach by Tikes won us the fifth hole. Down only one hole and coming into the par three sixth hole, we were feeling good about our ascension back to the top. I don't know if Hub did his hometeaching or what, but miraculously he sticks it a foot and a half away (he did miss the putt though..sorry Hub). JROD and Tikes are down two again.

Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse, Ri-Bone and Hub both hit it in the short grass again (repent now everyone, the end is nigh). This is where it starts to get a little foggy for me. I can only handle so much when it comes to the golfing gods giving a little too much to two people. I do know I shanked consecutive shots on the next hole, and was about ready to impail myself with my sand wedge because I was done. Then it occured to Tikes to see if they wanted to go double or nothing on the last hole, and I threw in the no stroke or mulligan clause. Foolishly (or out of mercy), they agreed and Tikes and I squared things up with a par to their bogey.

Although Ri-Bone and Hub were not victorious this day, it was a moral victory and one they can cherish forever. The day they almost beat JROD and Tikes at something.




Official cereal of Hub and Ri-Bone.

9 comments:

Riley Alexander said...

Face it BNut, I dont golf like your mom anymore. I'm becoming legit. In fact, as my BFF MC Hammer once said... "To legit, too legit to quit".

Bnut's Bible said...

It's just too bad we have to wait until next year to reafffirm what we all already know, you suck!

Tikes said...

Nice story Bnut....and I have golfed with both Hub and R-Bone enough to know when things are surreal...and they were indeed surreal.

I will make it known however that the final score was JROD/Tikes -1 and Hub Spice/Ri-Bone +1 on the scorecard.

Yeah...when was the last time those two could scramble for a 1 over round? They were good...real good. By the way...nice new image Bnut...

Riley Alexander said...

My hips dont lie and neither does the scorecard. I probably should have kept that to make into some sort of mural for my wall

Tobias said...

All HUB and Ri-bone needed was a little bit of Tobi!!! I have finally fixed my side winder drive, and I am money with my irons. It's time that I suck at, but that will soon change in the Summer!!!! By the way War Florida!!!

Tobias said...

And War my UTES!!!

Unknown said...

It was moments like those that one needs to bring up the "luck your pants" phrase coined by me.

Riley Alexander said...

It was not luck. Pure skill.

I will repeat what casey said after about 4 holes and another perfect drive... "Man, I'm still waiting to wake up".

Hub said...

Pure skill, guys. You know it. The thing that you didn't see was our warm-up round the week before. And lest ye forget, Ri-Bone didn't even warm up on the putting green. My putting is terrible (as manifested by my birdie shank).

Anyways, If you don't want to call us when you guys go golfing in the future I will understand.