Thursday, November 20, 2008

My Curse From Above... Or Below...



This past Sunday morning I was blessed with another. No, not a new child or something new and cool. No, I was blessed Sunday with the passing of another kidney stone. By another I mean number 8 or so. After the first two or three I started trying to repress the memories. These have ranged in size anywhere from a couple millimeters to the last couple have been 6-7 mm. Now this may not seem like it is very big, but anyone who has had a kidney stone before knows these are pretty good sized. They say when they get as large as 8 mm they are probably not going to pass on their own. By not on their own I mean the only way is with the assistance of lithotripsy (electronic sound waves used to break them into smaller pieces, I've heard it's painful) or surgery done retrograde (i.e. instrument put up your unit through the bladder and into your ureters to extract the stone). Neither of these options seemed very fun to me so I opted to pound the water and hope for the best. The first of these larger kidney stones took me several months (and numerous UTI's later) to pass. This most recent stone took me only 3-4 weeks, and a UTI for about a week until it passed. Nothing like peeing fire and dreading going to the bathroom for a week to make you appreciate the "normal" functioning of the body (if you've ever had a UTI you know what I'm talking about). And no I have never gone to the doctor for all of this. That costs too much money. I work in healthcare, I know how expensive it is and what they are going to tell me. What am I getting at with all this whining? I don't really know, I just wanted to let all of you know how tough the Preacher really is. God be with those fellow kidney stone producers. I feel your pain brothers and sisters. I feel your pain....

5 comments:

Riley Alexander said...

Here's a simple question for you... How much pop do you drink a day?

Maybe you should try to keep it under 4 gallons from here on out.

Unknown said...

I have had two kidney stones, and empathize with the feeling of peeing out chinese stars. although its not the urethral part of the journey that hurts, its the freekin ureteral part of the trip.

nataliejustin said...

That is horrible. I've had tiny ones and I was pretty sure I was dying but to be able to measure it in mm I cant even imagine. Good luck.

Tikes said...

Best part of the story is this statement..."I work in healthcare, I know how expensive it is and what they are going to tell me".

Way to be old school tough.

E-Hair has not had any kidney stones, but she has had like 16 million UTI's.

You may want to stop swallowing sand and trying to make pearls...I'm just sayin'.

Bnut's Bible said...

UTI's are alsmost as bad as the stones. Burning during urination and urge to go all the time is not good. I'm an innovator you know. I'll try anything to make a buck. I just need to change up the recipe to get something smooth and valuable instead of sharp, prickly orange, crust crystals.